Supporting Pasifika Leadership – Le Tautua Matau Mana Moana
Since 2008, Le Va has supported emerging and established Pasifika leaders to develop and grow their unique cultural leadership perspectives and enhance their leadership and management skills. This has been undertaken through the Le Tautua programme. The latest iteration of the programme, targeting alumni and established Pasifika leaders is Le Tautua M3 (Matau Mana Moana).
This programme is a tailor-made leadership programme incorporating the indigenous knowledge, constructs, values, proverbs, narratives and world-views of Pasifika ancestral legacies, alongside cutting-edge, highly regarded and internationally sought-after leadership practices.
It draws on ‘Mana Moana, a body of indigenous Pasifika knowledge gathered by Dr Karlo Mila in her postdoctoral research. It follows the group work format of “The Journey to Motutapu” an intervention programme developed by Dr Mila and Dr Evangelene Daniela. This was tested successfully for feasibility and acceptability with Pasifika young people.
Le Tautua M3 adapts Mana Moana knowledge – with the expertise of Louise Marra and Le Va – in order to provide a culturally-centred programme that meets the needs of Pasifika mental health and addictions leaders.
Le Tautua M3 provides real skills for contemporary Pasifika leaders and will focus on the contemporary execution of traditional values and knowledge in practice, professional and personal lives – in clinical, cultural and community contexts. It is delivered via three, two-day workshops in the first half of 2016.
Le Tautua M3 is for Le Tautua alumni and established Pasifika leaders in the mental health and addiction workforce.
Le Va is pleased to announce the selection of the following outstanding participants:
- Apollo Taito, Manager West Community Mental Health, Waitakere District Health Board, Auckland
- Dr Bryon Seiuli, Research Fellow, School of Psychology, University of Waikato, Hamilton
- Dwaine Faletanoai, Addictions Therapist, Tupu, Waitakere District Health Board, Auckland
- Dr Chris Seu, Psychiatry Registrar, Counties Manukau District Health Board, Auckland
- Elizabeth Mati, Clinical Psychologist Intern, Whirinaki, CAMHS, Counties Manukau District Health Board, Auckland
- Helen Schmidt-Sopoaga, Clinical Team Leader, CADS, Waitakere District Health Board, Auckland
- Mark Esekielu, Manakau Centre Manager, Youthline, Auckland
- Mercy Drummond, Pasifika Clinician/Family Therapist, Health Pasifika CAMHS, 3DHB, Wellington
- Norm Mene-Vaele, Mental Health Clinician, St John of God, Christchurch
- Phil Siataga, Senior Clinician, St John of God, Christchurch
- Pulotu Bruce Levi, General Manager, Waitakere and Auckland District Health Board, Auckland
- Vito Nonumalo, Service Manager, Mental Health Advocacy and Peer Support MHAPS, Christchurch
- Gillian Hekau, Social Worker, Faleola Service, Counties Manukau District Health Board, Auckland
This programme will be led by Dr Karlo Mila with Saveatama Eroni Clarke, and co-facilitated with Louise Marra (Programme Lead of Leadership New Zealand, and leadership and coaching consultant at Spirited Leadership).