‘Express Yourself’ Pacific Potential – film competition
SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: Friday 10 February 2017 – 5pm
With the amount of interest in the ‘Express Yourself’ film competition Le Va has decided to extend the submission deadline to 10th February 2017!
As part of the Pasifika Film Fest 2017, Le Va is running a short film competition with the following theme: ‘Intergenerational Communication for Pasifika people’.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to express yourself, then this competition is for you! It could as simple as shooting a video from your phone!
Can you express in a short film a time you experienced intergenerational miscommunication or misunderstanding, and also express how you would like it done better? We encourage you to work alongside all generations for this project.
Make a 2 – 3 minute film on Pasifika wellbeing around the theme: Intergenerational communication.
What is Intergenerational communication?
Sometimes misunderstanding causes problems so we need to think of ways we can enhance understanding and respect between the generations.
Communication breakdown occurs when we misinterpret what we hear, see or feel from others. It’s something that can be easily overlooked and we don’t know how to deal with it. Most of the time we don’t even know it’s happening.
When we have effective communication between younger and older generations, we build empathy – which contributes to safe, healthy and respectful relationships, and ultimately more cohesive Pasifika families and communities.
Le Va’s intergenerational approach is strengths-based and focusses on relationships and the inherent strength of each generation. When we view people of different generations as pure potential, we start to see resilient and prosperous Pasifika families.
Awards & Prizes
The prizes are amazing, and it’s only a two and a half minute short film, so grab a group of friends and give it a go over the summer break. Deadline is 31 Jan 2017.
- $1000 Westfield gift voucher!
- Your film featured at the Pasifika Film Festival in Auckland on 16 February 2017!
- A three hour NRL experience! Be hosted by our most famous Pasifika NRL players!
- Attend the event with your friends or family and receive your award by a special mystery guest!
- Q&A sessions with Pasifika leaders in the creative industry to help you understand what it takes to make it in the creative world!
How to enter
To be eligible to enter this competition, all applicants must:
- Be a NZ citizen or NZ resident
- Submit your short film by 5pm 10 February 2017!
- Meet the film submission criteria outlined below
- Simply send us your film submission via Dropbox to email@example.com or pop into the Le Va office with your film submission on a USB stick.
Le Va office: Harakeke House – 15 Ronwood Ave, Manakau
Things to consider with your film:
- Film length to be no longer than 3 minutes including titles and credits
- Be sure to incorporate the theme of: ‘Intergenerational Communication’
- Your films file size should be no larger than 4GB in mp4 format
- Be mindful of using music and video footage that is not created by you. We recommend that you use only music and video footage that you create to avoid copyright issues
Give it a go and see your film on the big screen at the Pasifika Film festival!
Check out the competiton explainer video here.