Faiva Ora Leadership Group
The Faiva Ora leadership group enables Pasifika people with disabilities to advance and champion Pasifika disability issues by having their views represented at the highest levels in New Zealand.
The leadership group:
- provides quality advice and support to the Ministry of Health and its funded disability support services on issues relating to Pasifika people with disabilities, their family members and aiga
- provides advice on the implementation of the Faiva Ora National Pasifika Disability Plan
- supports community initiatives to reduce negative attitudes and stigma towards Pasifika people with disabilities.
Roles and responsibilities of the group include:
- contributing to the Faiva Ora National Pasifika Disability Plan and Le Va’s disability support services work plan, and continuing to provide the Ministry of Health with quality advice on a number of their projects that affect Pacific people with disabilities, and for the future of Faiva Ora
- providing a Pacific disability voice at a national level such as the Ministry of Health’s Disability Sector Strategic Reference Group and Framework Review Group
- actively contributing to the Ministry of Health’s complaints factsheet, the personal planning framework for the Choice in Community Living demonstration, the new model local area coordination work, and the individualised funding scheme
- having a key role in Le Va’s Engaging Pasifika disability training as it's rolled out to the disability support services sector
- actively contributing to Le Va’s Organisational Guidelines for disability support services working with Pacific peoples
- forging collaborative working relationships with national groups and bodies in the disability sector including the Disabled Person’s Assembly (DPA), Needs Assessment Service Co-Ordination Association (NASCA) and the national Pacific mental health consumers group